Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: My work here is complete. I will return to my Home Planet now. .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

My work here is complete. I will return to my Home Planet now.

(pic courtesy of Northstar) Posted by Hello

Talmadge Heflin, an 11-term State Representative and former Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee withdrew his challenge to the election that gave his seat in the Legislature to newcomer Hubert Vo last November, when Vo won the election by 33 votes. Heflin’s attorneys challenged the election results, insinuating voter fraud.

On Monday, Will Hartlett, a fellow Republican and “master of discovery” assigned to investigate the challenge, issued a report that stated Vo won by at least 16 votes and that there was no evidence of intentional fraud.

Heflin could still have pursued the challenge after Hartlett’s report, and could possibly have overturned the decision. I mean, here we are, deep in the heart of the Lone Star Red State – where the stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap), and the Repubs gained a sweeping victory last November when the earth shifted dramatically to the right. I was expecting some kind of soft-shoe shuffle to keep him in power.

And I would have thought they would have had to drag him out kicking and screaming. The fact that he conceded gracefully heartens me that there may be hope for us after all.

So I will retire to my Fortress of Solitude, until the time comes again for me to fight for Truth, Justice and The American Way. Well, Truth and Justice anyway – The American Way is going to take more than just me to fix.

And I was just kidding about that Home Planet thing. I was. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home