Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: <i>the Party of "Yeah!"</i> .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Monday, March 28, 2005

the Party of "Yeah!"

I've never considered myself a Democrat. I've never even been a big fan of the two party system. I've always felt that Democratic politicians are subject to the same kind of temptations that Republican politicians face as they attempt to shape the country into what they see as their ideal. Big Money is always there to push their own agenda, which seldom benefits anyone but themselves.

The alternative is to be Independent, but their candidates either don't have the following to gain a majority, or are so whacked and charismatic as to gain a following among the disenfrachised, which could lead our country into anarchy.

So, more and more, I find myself siding with Democrats on the major issues. I consider myself a progressive thinker, which puts me firmly to the left of political center. That's why the latest GOP spin campaign disturbs me.

This campaign refers to the Democratic Party as "the Party of 'No'". If by the Democratic Party they mean me and others that think like me, this couldn't be further from the truth. For example:

  • I am not against the seperation of Church and State, as guaranteed by the first ammendment.
  • I am not against gay marriage. I don't plan on engaging in one, but I'm not homophobic, so it doesn't bother me if someone else does.
  • I am not against the sanctity of marriage. If Michael Shiavo chooses to respect his wife's wishes to not sustain her life by artificial means, it is his right to do so without government interference.
  • I am not against a woman's right to choose the fate of her own body and health.
  • I am not against developing alternative energy sources to alleviate our dependence on foreign oil in order to maintain our level of energy consumption.
I could go on, but you get the idea. There are many things to which I'm not opposed. But I am opposed to forcing people to accept a Social Security alternative that would hurt them in the long run, to starting wars that we can't win in order to secure cheap oil, and to desecrating one of our last remaining wildernesses in order to satisfy our gargantuan energy demands.

If anything, I'm the Party of "Yeah!" I look forward to advances in science that bring the reality of a self sufficient America closer to fruition, and an America that respect the rights of all of its citizens.

I consider that progressive. The GOP calls it "liberal".
But is that such a bad term? Liberal used to mean "generous".
Now it's used as a derogatory epithet.
Has our country fallen so far that it considers compassion a detriment to our nation?
I sincerely hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home