Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: Ignorance is Strength .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Ignorance is Strength

Saw a film adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 last night. I've read the book several times, but didn't even know someone had made a film of it. Saw it on Showtime On Demand. That iControl stuff is great! I saw it with someone who didn't know the story, so there was a lot of rewinding and 'splainin' going on. Movies rarely tap the intensity or detail of books, and this was no exception, but in its simplicity I realized something I'd never thought of while reading the book. Wilson and Julia never accomplished a damn thing as part of the revolution! Sure, they had the illusion of freedom for a while, but that's it. They never convinced one other person that the government was wrong, and that there might be a better way of living.

It got me thinking about what I'm doing here. I can rant and rave all day long about the atrocities committed in the name of freedom, about how Big Brother and company are lying to us daily, and how much better the world would be if we spread the wealth instead of confining it to the "Inner Party Members". But I'd be suprised if less than 99% of the people who read this don't already agree with me. And the other 1% pass it off as the ravings of a lazy, leftist, liberal lunatic (hey, I coined a new acronym! I'm 4L!).

The funny thing is, I never considered myself a liberal, or even a Democrat. Last November, I didn't vote a straight party ticket. Naive little ol' me, I researched each candidate and voted for whom I thought would serve the people better. For example: for Railroad Commisioner, I had a choice of a Republican who had worked in the railroad and the oil industries as an attorney with no apparent ties to Big Business, or a Democrat who was a retired marriage counselor. I chose the Republican based on experience. For President, I voted against Bush, 'cause I saw firsthand how he had raped Texas' economy and it's citizens to line his own pockets, and how he'd done the same thing to America in his first term (this time lining the pockets of those who got him there). After the election, I was suprised at how many people, who I thought were intellegent and thinking individuals, had voted straight party Republican and knew virtually nothing about any of the candidates other than that Kerry was against God and Freedom.

So while you and I are tapping away at our keyboards trying to spread the truth, the ignorant masses are out there shouting "traitor!" at the image of the voice of dissent, and they're winning. In the end, will we end up just like Winston and Julia - thinking we have freedom while Big Brother is behind the screen laughing at us, just biding his time until he breaks in and tells us that we really are already dead?

Is what we're doing really just mental masturbation? Sure it feels good, and leaves one feeling satisfied afterward. But then what? Do it again tomorrow (or later today, if the mood strikes), and bide time until the hammer drops?

Someone please tell me there's hope for democracy. That Oceania isn't only an election or two away. Just in case, I think I'll start looking into buying an island in the Carribean. If there are any left, that is.

1 Comments:

  • Sorry Wyld Card, there is no hope. All we can do is ask ourselves, when Big Brother eventually busts in the door, did we lie down and wait for them, or did we try as best we could with what we had. For my part I will do the latter.

    By Blogger Tim, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home