Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: <b><i>I'm Baaack!</i></b> .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Thursday, May 19, 2005

I'm Baaack!

Sorry for the silence, folks, but I was on sabbatical. Recharging my batteries, if you will. Every once in a while I need to get away from the grind of the city and get back to nature. This time it was at Enchanted Rock State Natural Area just outside Llano, Texas. Way cool place.


Enchanted Rock, as seen from the north. To get an idea of scale, the summit is 130 meters (425 feet) above the campsites below. Although primarily one huge rock, it includes many subsystems that contain caves, fissures and boulder piles that invite exploration.

It’s basically a 100+ meter high rock with its own ecosystem. And lot’s of nooks and crannies - places to climb, play, hide and explore, all without the benefit of electricity. Top that, Sony. Believe me, it’s much more exhilarating pushing the envelope of ability in person than to do it with a joystick.


Some of the interesting geological formations, called "hoodoos" or "mushroom stones" created by eons of wind and water on the path to the summit of Enchanted Rock.

Did some climbing. Well, not climbing climbing, with pitons and carabiners and such, more like vertical hiking. But there were plenty of precarious situations, dangling over the abyss and Jackie Chan maneuvers. Basically tempting fate. But it seems that fate has better things to do these days than bother with me, so I’m back in one piece, more or less.


A gnamma, or weathering pit, on the top of Enchanted Rock, contains a delicate ecosystem in the heart of a harsh environment. Kinda like a primitive rooftop garden.

Also did some caving, although that doesn’t count as therapeutic. It’s sick and twisted. But I did it anyway. I just don’t get how people enjoy crawling into dark, damp tight spaces that you’re not sure you can get out of. But, whatever twists your pickle. I prefer my danger in the sunlight, thank you very much.

So, what did I miss while I was away? Hang on while I peruse the news…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home