Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: May the Force be with you .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Monday, May 09, 2005

May the Force be with you


picture gallery

The new Star Wars episode is due in theatres May 19th (earlier in some venues). Note to parents: it's not for the kiddies. Because it deals with Anikin/Darth Vader's migration to the dark side, there's baby killing, slash and burn, cute-little-Yoda-maiming action that is not designed for younger audiences. Hence the PG-13 rating.

"We're getting a lot of flak from parents, a lot of people saying how can you do this? My children love these movies. Why can you not let them go see it?" Lucas told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "But I have to tell a story. I'm not making these, oddly enough, to be giant, successful blockbusters. I'm making them because I'm telling a story, and I have to tell the story I intended."

Regardless, Episode III promises to be a blockbuster, even though Episode II kinda tanked by Hollywood standards. Everyone wants the closure promised by the metamorphosis from cute little Anakin (Episode I) to disturbed teen (Episode II and every other teen in history) to devious mastermind of the fall of the Republic (the dream of every other teen in history).

Not to mention the conception of twin Saviours of the Universe, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, whose potentially incestuous relationship was finally resolved in Episode VI (or the second sequel for us old-schoolers).

Game on. I haven't yet seen it yet , but I'm looking forward to it. It's the only DVD I don't already own in the saga. So whether I'll see it in the theatres or wait for it to come on DVD depends on how it's received. Let me know. It's only 8 bucks, so I'll see it at the theatre if it's good, but I won't camp out overnight. But if it's a hit at the theatres I'll have to wait longer for the DVD. Such a dilemna.

May the force be with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home