Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life: <i>Police finger culprit</i> .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sharpening our wits on the grindstone of Life

Friday, April 22, 2005

Police finger culprit

Finger-in-chili case a hoax, police say

Police put the finger on Anna Ayala for planting the fingertip in her chili in order to extort money from Wendy's Restaraunts. Although we still don't know who the finger belongs to, it apparently didn't get there by falling into the ingredients or by someone serving the chili.

Wendy's claims that the digitmania has taken a $2.5 million bite out of their sales, leading to the felony charges against Ayala. I suggest that their loss (or, in actuality, lack of gain in market share) is due in part to the economy, their business practices, and the fact that they've taken the Texas Double off of their value menu.

Don't get me wrong - I'm one of the reasons Wendy's has been doing so well. I'm a Cheeseburgerholic in pre-denial stage. I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes. And Wendy's Texas Double Cheeseburger is the only fast food cheeseburger I can order in this town without conditions.

My local Wendy's still makes my Texas Doubles for me at a slightly higher price, so I still frequent them more often than their competitors. But the general public may not do this, and that could have something to do with the loss of market share.

It's all about the market. Not the finger. Not the chili. What does Wendy's, headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, know about chili anyway? They put noodles in their chili in Ohio.

It's all about the market. If they want bean sprouts in their chili in California, give it to 'em! Put noodles in your chili in Ohio, I don't care! Just give me mustard and onions on my cheeseburger, and you can have gay sex on the counter in Indiana and it won't bother me.

I seem to have gotten off track here. Yes, Anna Ayala attempted to screw the big guys, and the big guys fought back. Anna lost because she was a dirt bag, looking for an easy scam. It's good that she got blasted. Let's just hope that people with legitimate gripes don't suffer from being compared to her when they try to get the big guys to own up to their responsibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home